A garment steamer can be a great alternative or addition to an iron and an iron board, as it is a faster and more convenient way to remove wrinkles and creases from clothing and the like. Garment steamers can also be very handy when you’re travelling, as a handheld portable travel model doesn’t require much space, which makes it perfect to bring along wherever you may go. In addition to portable, handheld garment steamers, there are also full size garment steamers that are better suited for home use.
Our buyer’s guide with reviews of the best garment steamer to buy in 2020 will help you make the best purchasing choice, whether you’re looking for a portable, handheld model or a full sized garment steamer.
Best Standing Garment Steamers
|Model:||Power:||Steaming Time Per Filling:|
|J-4000M Jiffy Garment Steamer||1500W||2 Hours|
|PurSteam Elite Garment Steamer||1500W||1 Hour|
|J-2000 Jiffy Garment Steamer||1300W||1,5 Hours|
|Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet Garment Steamer||1550W||1 Hour|
|Aicok Clothes Steamer||1500W||1 Hour|
Best Handheld Garment Steamers
|Model:||Power:||Steaming Time Per Filling:|
|iSteam Handheld Clothes Steamer||700W||10 minutes|
|Epica Handheld Garment Steamer||800W||12 minutes|
|ESTEAM Personal Handheld Steamer||600W||15 minutes|
|PureSteam Elite Portable Fabric Steamer From Pure Enrichment||N/A||10 minutes|
How Does a Garment Steamer Work?
A garment steamer uses regular water that gets turned into steam, and it allows you to blow it onto any wrinkled material. The steam from the garment steamer allows the fabric to “relax” into its natural state, which helps to reduce the appearance of the wrinkles. A typical steamer (medium or full size) consists of a water tank, a metal rod, a heating element and a rubber hose that has a brush attached to it, for removing lint and hair.
Once the water has been added to the tank, and heated till it boils and becomes vapour, the steam can be applied to the garment by using the rubber hose, with light sweeping motions. The garment can be hung on a regular clothes hanger or on the metal rod.
When it comes to the handheld, portable steamers, the water tank is connected to the steam blower directly, and there is no rod or hose.
What Are the Benefits (and Downsides) of a Garment Steamer?
There are several benefits of using a garment steamer as it’s:
- Easy to use – Ironing trousers and shirts can be complicated for some, and you might not know where to start and end, if it needs to be turned inside out, what’s the correct temperature for this particular fabric, etc. A garment steamer gives you a lot less things to worry about, and it will make your life a bit easier as it’s very easy to use.
- Economical – You’ll save time, as they’re much faster to use than an iron, and you’ll save money on dry cleaning bills.
- Flexible – You’ll be able to freshen up any wrinkles on most kinds of fabric, and it is ideal for the more delicate materials such as polyester, silk, satin and lace, that are usually difficult to iron.
- Ecological – The only thing you use is plain water, and there’s no need for chemicals. Your clothes will also last longer when you steam them, instead of ironing them.
- Practical and Portable – The travel steamer-models can be easily packed and brought with you wherever you go.
There are also some downsides of a garment steamers. One thing is that they generally don’t handle thicker clothing (like a suit jacket) very well, like a traditional steamer iron normally would. However, some of the best garment steamers can compete with steam irons, though. You might just have to take a few extra passes at it to get the worst wrinkles out. Another thing is that they aren’t as good for making sharp creases.
You should make sure that the item isn’t labeled ‘dry clean only’, before you start using a garment cleaner, as this could damage it or leave spots of moisture on it. You’ll also have to be careful when using it on new items. It might be a good idea to first test it on a small area inside a seam, just for caution.
How To Choose the Right Garment Steamer?
Before diving into our reviews of the best garment steamers, there are some things that you should think about before you decide to buy one.
- Find out what type should you go for? – The first thing you’ll need think about is how you’re going to use it. You probably won’t need a full size model if you’re only going to use it for removing some wrinkles from your t-shirts. In this case a handheld steamer with a little tank would be the better option. If you need it for steaming your drapes, you might need one with a bigger water thank, and go for a full size steamer. If you need a steamer than can be easily brought along when you’re travelling, then obviously choosing a travel steamer is the best idea.The size of the tank on the steamer will also affect the time it’ll take to heat it up. The smaller the tank, the faster it will usually be to heat up and start producing steam, but this is also dependent on the model, as some are a lot faster than others. You’ll also need to take into consideration how much storage space you’ve got, as a full sized garment steamer requires quite a bit of space.
- Check the maximum temperature and wattage – Most of the time, higher wattage equals higher maximum temperature, but that isn’t always the case. A high wattage steamer with a mediocre max temperature isn’t very effective, so it would be better to go for an effective garment steamer with high maximum temperature, as basically the higher the temperature, the easier it is to remove the most difficult of creases and wrinkles.
- Extra accessories – Accessories makes the whole steaming process a bit more efficient and convenient for the user. The best clothes steamers usually comes with some extra accessories, including interchangeable steam heads, nozzles and clips, long hoses and more.
Check out our general tips for buying home appliances online here.
Below, you’ll find the best garment steamers available on Amazon:
The Best Standing Garment Steamers On The Market:
- Item Weight: 24,9 pounds (11,2kg)
- Power: 1500W
- Water Tank Capacity: 1 US gallon (3,7L)
- Warranty: 3-years
If you’re looking for the best standing garment steamer on the market, irregardless of the price (and size), then the Jiffy J-4000M Garment Steamer is definitely one you should consider getting. This heavy-duty steamer is perfect for the longer and heavier jobs as it takes a bit of time for the steamer to heat up, but once it’s heated it can be used for as long as 2 hours before it’ll need to be refilled and heated up again.
The J-4000M steamer comes equipped with a 5,5 foot hose, a metal steam head (can also be bought with a plastic steam head) with a wooden handle, a one gallon (3,7L) self-contained water tank with settings for preheating and steaming, and 1500 Watts of steaming power, which makes it able to remove any wrinkles quickly and efficiently. This garment steamer is built to last, as it comes in a durable aluminium casing, and its head and hose are well attached and secure for proper use. If there’re any defects in material or workmanship which is highly unlikely, you’re covered by a nice 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
As previously stated, if you’re looking for a durable, top quality, heavy-duty garment steamer, and you’ve got the space for it, then you can’t go wrong with choosing the J-4000M. Its only downside is the heat up time of 15 minutes, but larger units often takes longer time to heat up, and in return you’ll get professional results and a garment steamer that will last for a very long time.
- Heavy-duty garment steamer that can be used for 2 hours before it needs to be filled and heated up again
- Durable and solid built
- Powerful and efficient, provides a top performance
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
- 15 minutes heat up time
Bottom: Powerful and efficient heavy-duty high-end steamer for those who want the very best, whether it’s for home or for commercial use
- Item Weight: 14.3 pounds (6,5kg)
- Power: 1500W
- Water Tank Capacity: 61 oz (1.8L)
- Warranty: 5-years
- Accessories Included: Fabric brush and garment hanger
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, affordable garment steamer that is able to provide you with a long steaming time per use, then the PurSteam Elite Garment Steamer is an excellent choice. This unit comes with a 61 oz (1.8L) water tank that will heat up in only 45-60 seconds and can produce a stable steam for about an hour, before you’ll need to refill and reheat it again.
The PurSteam Elite Garment Steamer’s cast aluminium heating element ensures that you’ll get a long durability, gives it the ability to keep a high temperature of heat, and with a steam temperature of 248°F you’ll easily be able to de-wrinkle even deep-set wrinkles on all kinds of fabrics. At the same time, this unit will also freshen the clothes and help bring about good health as it’ll kill 99,9% of the germs on your garment. Another good thing about this unit is that it comes with a great 5-year warranty which is one of the best offered on the market, and a money-back guarantee in case you’re not happy with your purchase. In addition to this, you’re also offered top-class customer service in case you’ve got any inquiries or need any help.
This PurSteam Elite garment steamer is one the most popular garment steamers sold on Amazon, with a nice rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars, and a lot of buyers are reporting that they are getting a lot of value for money, and we agree. For a relatively low price of 60-70 dollars, you’ll get a very good garment steamer that you’ll enjoy for years to come.
- Comes with a 61 oz (1.8L) water tank that heats up in just 45-60 seconds
- Provides 60 minutes of stable and effective hot steam
- Versatile and works great on pretty much all kinds of fabrics
- 5-year warranty and a 30 days money back guarantee
- Top-notch customer service
- A few buyers are reporting that their unit stopped working after only a couple of months, but their issues seemed to be resolved quickly thanks to PurSteam’s customer service.
Bottom Line: Affordable and versatile unit that will effectively release the wrinkles on your clothes in just a short time
- Weight: 17 pounds (7,7kg)
- Power: 1300W
- Water Tank Capacity: 0,75 gallon (2.8L)
- Warranty: 3-year
Jiffy is well known for producing some of the best fabric steamers on the market, and their J-2000 steamer is no different in that regard. This durable unit comes with a 0.75 gallon (2.85L) water tank and a 1300W brass heating element, and heats up in just 2 minutes, while giving you a nice 1,5 hours of steaming per filling. The J-2000 is also equipped with easy roll casters for extra mobility and with a 5,5 foot flexible hose with a plastic or metal steam head, depending of your choice. When it comes to safety, the J-2000 has got a no-spill check cap on the water reservoir, and it comes with an automatic shut-off function.
The J-2000 Jiffy garment steamer comes with a nice 3-years warranty, meaning its guaranteed against any defect in workmanship or material for three years from the date of purchase.
It’s easy to understand why this unit is amongst the most popular steamers on the market, and a very high rating (4.4 of 5) and lots of positive reviews on Amazon. Whether you intend to use it for home or for light commercial use, this steamer is the best choice at its price point and is well worth the investment as it’s very easy to use, effective, and it provides you with a long steam time.
- 0.75 gallon water tank that provides you with a steam time of 1,5 hours per filling
- Heats up in just 2 minutes
- 1300W effective heating element in solid brass
- Comes with no-spill check cap on the water tank, and an auto-shut off feature
- It’s versatile and can be used for removing clothes wrinkles, steaming bedding and table linens and even for removing wallpaper
- 3-years warranty
- Hose is a bit stiff and not very flexible
- The metal steamer head might feel a bit heavy after long periods of use
Bottom Line: Durable, effective unit, and the best garment steamer at its price point
- Weight: 16.2 pounds (7.3kg)
- Power: 1550W
- Water Tank Capacity: 82 oz (2.4L)
- Warranty: 1-year
- Accessories Included: Fabric Brush, steam bonnet, lint pad ++
The Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet is a powerful and robust high-end, full-size garment steamer that can remove wrinkles from any types of clothes and fabric. The 82 oz water tank and 1550W heating element on the IS6300 will provide you with 1 hour of continuous effective steaming, and it will start to produce steam after about only 1 minute. This unit comes with a roll and press feature that improves the efficiency and versatility of the fabric steamer, as it’ll act like an iron board and you’ll get a large and solid vertical surface which will hold your clothes into place and it’ll make it a lot easier for you to press down and get out the deep wrinkles from your garments. In addition to the roll and press feature, it also comes with a fabric brush for more efficient steaming, a lint pad and a steam bonnet. Turning the device on or off can easily be done by using the foot operated pedal.
The clear, and removable water tank on the IS6300 makes it uncomplicated for you to pay attention to how much water there is left, and you’ll effortlessly be able to pop the tank out of the steamer and refill it whenever you need to. Moving the steamer is also very easy, as it’s got a suitcase inspired ’tilt and roll’ system for easy transportation, which will allow you to roll it, by pulling the handle and roll it on its wheels. The Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet Garment Steamer comes with a 1-year warranty from the date of purchase.
To sum things up, this is a very solid fabric steamer that comes with some nice various tools that will help you steam your clothes more efficiently, and we especially liked the roll and press feature which make it a lot easier for you to remove the deep wrinkles. However, the Rowenta IS6300 Master Valet comes with a premium price tag, but in return you’ll get an efficient and durable unit that can be used on pretty much any fabric.
- 82 oz (2.4L) water tank and 1550W of heating power
- 1 hour of continuous steaming per filling
- Telescopic pole with built-in hanger for effortlessly steaming
- Roll and press feature
- Comes with several accessories
- A little expensive
- It takes a little of time to get used to the foot operation (on/off)
Bottom Line: Powerful and solid garment steamer that comes with lots of various useful tools and that produces a full hour of steaming per filling
- Weight: 14,4 pounds (6,5kg)
- Power: 1500W
- Water Tank Capacity: 70 oz (2.1L)
- Warranty: 2-years
- Accessories Included: Fabric brush, garment hanger & retractable pole
The Aicok standing clothes steamer is great alternative to the iron board and iron, and will make it easier for you to de-wrinkle your clothes whenever you want. This heavy-duty steamer sports a 70 oz water tank, heats up in only 45-60 seconds and provides you with a continuously powerful steaming (1500W heating element) for about an hour per filling. This unit features an auto shut-off mechanism for safety enhancement, which will prevent the steamer from getting too hot or from running dry whenever the water-level is low. The Aicok garment steamer comes with an adjustable telescopic pole for 4 heights, a retractable garment hanger and a fabric brush.
You’ll also be able to easily move this garment steamer around the house, thanks to the in-built wheels on the unit. As a reassurance in case anything were to happen with this appliance, Aicok offers you a decent 2-year manufacturers warranty from the date of purchase.
Overall, this is quite a good garment steamer, but it is a bit expensive and in our opinion there are better alternatives in this price-range. A few buyers on Amazon are reporting that it spills a little of water, but this seems to be a problem for only the minority of buyers, as most of the buyers are positive and satisfied with their purchase.
- 70 oz (2.1L) water tank
- Heats up in just 45-60 seconds, and lasts for about an hour per filling
- Comes with an adjustable telescopic pole, a fabric brush and a retractable garment hanger
- Easy to move around the house
- 2-year manufacturers warranty
- A few buyers are reporting of a spill/drip
- A bit expensive
Bottom Line: Solid heavy-duty clothes steamer with some nice and useful features
The Best Handheld Garment Steamers On The Market:
- Weight: 1.2lbs (0,5kg)
- Power: 700W
- Warranty: 1-year
If you’re looking for a small and lightweight handheld garment steamer for travel or for any other use, then the iSteam Handheld Clothes Steamer is an excellent choice. This steamer weighs only 1.2lbs and barely take up any space at all, heats up in just one minute and will give you a consistent and powerful steam flow that will help you de-wrinkle any fabric. This unit provides you with 10 minutes of continuous steaming time per filling, which is quite decent considering its size. If it runs out of water, or if it’s overheated, this unit will shut itself off automatically, as a safety precaution.
The iSteam Handheld Clothes Steamer has got a nice rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon and a lot of buyers are reporting that they’re very impressed and happy with their purchase. However, a few are reporting that it spills a little water, which is something that could happen with devices like this, so you should always remember to be cautious when handling a handheld garment steamer. A good rule of thumb is to never tilt a steamer past a 45-degree angle and you should use a hanger to hang your clothes on when steaming.
This unit is in our opinion the best handheld garment steamer on the market and you’ll get good value for your the money as it comes at a price of around $30.
- Lightweight and perfect for travelling
- Heats up in only a minute and provides you with a powerful flow of steam
- Auto shut-off feature
- Easy to refill
- A few buyers are reporting that it spills a little water
Bottom Line: Lightweight and easy to use garment steamer, perfect for travelling
- Weight: 2.1 pounds (0.9kg)
- Power: 800W
- Water Tank Capacity: 7 oz (0,2L)
- Accessories Included: Fabric brush and lint remover
The Epica 800W Handheld Garment Steamer is a compact fabric steamer, great for quick touch-ups and for travels. This unit is a little heavier (2.1lbs) than the iSteam Steamer, but in return it has a slightly larger tank capacity (7 ounces) and can produce a continuous steam for up to 12 minutes per filling, which is quite impressive. The Epica handheld steamer comes with two attachments – a fabric brush and a lint remover, which will help giving you professional results and have your clothes looking fresh and like new again.
This handheld steamer is one of the most sold garment steamers on Amazon, and a lot of buyers are reporting that they are very happy with their purchase. As with basically any other handheld steamers out there, this one also has a few reports of some spilling of water. This could happen, especially if it’s tilted, so you should beware of this whenever you’ll use it.
At a price of around $20, this handheld garment steamer will give you good value for money.
- 800W of power
- 2 minutes heating time, and can steam for up to 12 minutes per filling
- Easy to use
- Comes with a fabric brush and a lint remover
- Slightest tilt can cause a spilling
Bottom Line: Compact and affordable handheld garment steamer, great for quick touch-ups and for travelling
- Weight: 2 pounds (0.9kg)
- Power: 600W
- Water Tank Capacity: 8 oz (0,25L)
- Warranty: 3-years
The Esteam Handheld Steamer from Jiffy is a stylish looking and compact garment steamer that weighs only 2 pounds. This unit is super easy to hold and operate, and it can be easily packed into a suitcase without you having to worry about baggage allowance. The water tank capacity of the Esteam is a decent 8 ounces, heats up in only one minute, and you’ll get a nice steaming time of 15 minutes per filling, which is quite a long time for a handheld steamer. The Esteam comes in black or pink, and you can choose to buy it with a converter kit and adapter plugs, if you’re intending on using it while travelling to different countries where there’s not 120V. As with all Jiffy steamer products, this steamer is also covered by a nice 3-year warranty from the date of purchase.
The Esteam personal handheld steamer has a nice rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon, and most reviews are positive and full of praise. A few buyers have experienced a slight spill of water, but this seems to be an issue for only the absolute minority of buyers, and if you’re comfortable spending 60-70 dollars on a travel steamer, then the Esteam from Jiffy is one of the best that you could get.
- 8 ounces (0.25L) water tank
- Weighs only 2 pounds
- One minute to heat up and a steaming time of 15 minutes per filling
- Shuts off automatically when it runs dry
- 3-year warranty
- It’s a bit more expensive than the other handheld steamers in our list
Bottom Line: Compact and durable unit that provides a long steaming time
- Weight: 1.25 pounds (0.6kg)
- Water Tank Capacity: 5 oz (0.15L)
- Warranty: 2-years
The PureSteam Elite Portable Fabric Steamer is an affordable handheld garment steamer that weighs only 1.1 pounds, which makes it a great choice for those who’s got limited space for storage and for those who need a steamer for travelling, as this steamer can easily fit into your suitcase or pretty much anywhere else. This unit comes with a 5 ounce water tank that heats up in 2 minutes and it will provide you with 10 minutes of continuous steaming per filling. The PureSteam Elite steamer also has a shut-off feature that’ll turn the unit off automatically if it gets too low on water, or if gets too hot. A 2-year warranty is also offered from the manufacturer, from the date of purchase.
This steamer is one of the best-selling garment steamers on the market, and lots of buyers of this product are reporting that they’re impressed with this steamer considering its small size, and a large majority reports that they are well happy with their purchase. A few buyers have reported that their steamer was defect after arrival, but after correspondence with the customer service they got sent a new steamer promptly, free of charge, and their new steamer seemed to work flawlessly. For a price of around $20, this portable fabric steamer is well worth its price and if you need a steamer to bring with you when travelling, the PureSteam Elite garment steamer from Pure Enrichment is a very good choice.
- Compact and lightweight
- Auto shut-off feature
- Provides you with a decent 10 mins of continuous steaming per filling
- 2-years warranty and great customer service from manufacturer
- Lacks a little of power compared to some of the top rated handheld garment steamers
Bottom Line: A solid and easy to use handheld travel steamer, well worth its price
Whether you need a heavy-duty standing garment steamer for commercial or home use, or just a simple portable steamer for travels, there’s a lot of good steamers to choose from and all the steamers that we’ve reviewed are very much capable of helping you de-wrinkle your clothes and they will be a great alternative or addition to an iron board and iron. We found the J-4000M garment steamer from Jiffy to be the best garment steamer in 2020.
As we update our pages regularly, you’ll always get the latest product selections and fresh information about the best garment steamers on the market.